Sunday, April 27, 2008

Jess Weiner's cool advice in Seventeen Mag - Check it out!

I don't know about you, but I love Seventeen Magazine. They have some of the coolest stories and their May 2008 issue is no exception. In the issue Jess Weiner - an author, self-esteem expert, and the Global Ambassador for the Dove Self-Esteem Fund - gives advice on how moms and their daughters can both give their bodies a break. Here is what she said:

For as long as I can remember, my mom was on a diet. I didn't need to lose weight, but at age 11, I joined in her calorie-counting crusade. We shared the same taste in music, love of shopping, and, eventually, negative body image. My mom thought she was helping me feel good about how I looked, but instead I thought that I could never look good enough. I learned to loathe my body at a young age, and as a result, I later struggled with anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating.

Because we value their opinions so much, our mothers have a huge impact on how we feel about ourselves. Even a compliment ("Wow, you look so thin!") can make us think we're more lovable when we look a certain way.

For years, I blamed my mom for passing her body issues down to me. Then as I recovered, I realized that our mothers also face pressure to fit in and look pretty. They don't realize that by degrading themselves ('My butt looks huge!") or commenting on our bodies, they're hurting us. So instead of blaming them, let's invite them to accept their bodies too!

You can start by telling your Mom that you both need support --not criticism. (The next time she makes a negative remark, let her know that you're trying to feel good about yourself--and her comments don't help.) Then become allies in changing how you view your bodies by finding healthier ways to bond. (See "This Month's Goal" below). As you find more ways to relate to each other outside of calorie counting and body bashing, the better off you'll both be.

"THIS MONTH'S GOAL":
I VOW TO: Quit bonding with my mom over body issues. Show support for each other by cutting out negative thoughts and words.

HOW TO DO IT: Invite Mom to make peace by signing her own vows at seventeen.com/momvows! Then find positive ways to bond: Try taking a jewelry-making class, starting a book club, or planning a mother-daughter-themed movie night (see Freaky Friday-classic!).

No comments: