Thursday, May 1, 2008

An easy way to eat consciously

I have been going through these past few years thinking I was just overweight. Then my doctor told me I was obese. Obese!!!! What a word. It made me take a deeper look at myself and how I was treating me. If you are like me you are making all kinds of excuses as to why you are not treating yourself in a healthy way. For me the time for excuses are over. The doctor told me I was very close to being MORBIDLY OBESE. I don't want to die. I have too much to do yet.

So I am on a quest to not allow food to have so much power over me. The other day I observed myself eating some delicious organic popcorn. I realized I was chomping down on it like a crazy person instead of savoring each bite. Experts say it is best for our health and digestion to eat consciously by chewing each bite at least 25 times. When I actually eat consciously and chew each bite to the count of 25 or more, the meal lasts soooooooo much longer and I eat much less. Why would I not incorporate this conscious eating into my life permanently? I guess old habits die hard as they say sooooooo - dear friends, let's all be more conscious when we eat. Let's lessen the burden we are putting on our toes, arches, heels, ankles, calves, knees, thighs, hips, lower back, heart, kidneys, lungs, stomach, digestive tract, etc.

Here's what I did. I pictured the seven dwarfs in my stomach shoveling the food into my digestive tract. When I was eating consciously by chewing my food into tiny pieces by chewing each bite 25 times, the dwarfs were working at a pretty even pace and they were singing. They were happy to be doing their job in an even paced manner. But when I eat too much and just shovel it down, those little guys are working so hard that they are close to crying. I picture them complaining about me overworking them. Let's not be bad bosses to our digestive tracts. Let's allow them to be like the seven dwarfs who like to "whistle while they work."

1 comment:

rae from theideaplanet.com said...

i loved your blog especially the part about visualyzing the seven dwarfs stuffing too much food into people's bodies and how that would overwork them, but really i think the easiest way to lose weight is this- we should all think about how we feel first, then how we look to ourselves...before others- if we find happiness in our daily lives by working on things or projects that we love, our adrenaline will take off to move our metabolisms at a higher rate...that included with not eatting late at nite and less dairy and hard protein with a 20 minute movement of some kind a day should do the trick- we'll feel more in control which is the key.when i was 30 i decided that i couldn't take diets anymore nor being up and down in weight... so i decided the number on the scale didn't matter, but being in control did- so i structured myself to eat six small meals aday and be done by 8pm and before you knew it i was the right size for me and feeling in control gave me a new confidence and my inner beauty shined to match my new body which though wasn't a toothpick was a nice curvy girl!