Monday, July 14, 2008

Soothe Your Inner Child

When I was a kid my mom used to tell me ... "Don't eat that it will make you FAT." So when everyone left the table I shoved as much of "that" as I could down my throat. I was being defiant. I was about 12 years old at the time. So, that 12 year-old is still inside of me and still defiant. I think that "inner child" thinks she will die if I stop eating the foods that are making me unhealthy.

In Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power Of Now, he writes that our constantly chatty mind - which blares things from our past and fears about the future - is scared of our being "In The MOMENT" because, to "be in the moment" means death to the mind chatter.

Similarly our inner child is scared too and she/he only feels safe when she's making us eat defiantly. So how to we help our inner child know that she won't die? It is our job to soothe that inner child and let she/he'll know that they won't die if we resist eating defiantly. Let that inner child know that the food cravings and unhealthy face stuffing is unhealthy for us and that it is time for him/her to relax and be loved by us. They can be free and once they experience that love and peace and freedom they will feel calm and wonderful. Keep soothing them because they really do feel like they will die if you resist that addiction to food.

No comments: